It was said on the day the morning star fell from the sky, Kokuzo Bosatsu appeared to answer the prayer made by monk Dosho, during his practice of Gumonjiho (questioning ritual to pray to Kokuzo Bosatsu for good memory).
And based on this event, Myojo-sha Shrine was built for god of lightning Denden-Myojin, as a representation of Myojo Tenshi who is the embodiment of Kokuzo Bosatsu.
In 1864, the shrine burnt to the ground during the Kimon Incident, at the end of the Edo period. Then in 1956 the site was converted to the current Denden-gu Shrine, bringing fortune and prosperity to electrical industries. During this time the Denden-gu Goji-kai association was formed to preserve the shrine. And the Denden-to Pagoda was also constructed in this year.
The shrine you see today was refurbished in 1969 to commemorate Expo’70 held in Osaka.
In January 1979, the association of ‘Denden-gu Shrine and Denden-to Pagoda Hosankai’ was formed to honor the spirits of those who pioneered electricity and radio waves. Members of this organization have been increasing with the support from people in industries relevant to electricity. Every year on 23 May, the Grand Festival of Dendengu Shrine (Denden-gu Taisai) is held for gathering of the members. In May 1985, a new name, Horin-ji Denden-gu Goji-kai, was given to the association with a strengthening purpose to preserve and to maintain the shrine and pagoda.
With the strong belief of divine protection, we pray for the contribution to the advancement of social life and culture, a peaceful and prosperous world through the development of electricity and radio wave business operations. For membership information, please refer to the Japanese webpage.
The Pagoda and the monument for Thomas Edison and Hermann von Helmholtz
The festival is held on 23 May every year for prosperity and safety concerning all kinds of business operations related to electricity.